Heather Campbell-Reich Community Meals Program
Avon United Methodist Church
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
First Congregational United Church of Christ
Elyria First United Methodist Church
St. Paul United Church of Christ
Original Glorious Apostolic Church
Lorain/Medina Community Based Correctional Facility
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
Heather Reich believed that no one should go unfed in this community and she spent countless hours making sure meals and packaged food were available. Heather came to the Vestry of St. Andrew’s and asked for their commitment in establishing a meals program. Her idea was to make meals available in Elyria on the days that no other program was providing them. In September of 2003, Heather launched the Community Meals Program with the support of her family (Chuck and Kim), many of her friends, and the partnership of six other churches.
Our parish and this community suffered a great loss when Heather died of a cerebral aneurysm in January of 2005. The program was renamed in her honor. There is a picture of Heather and her guide dog, Jep, located in the parish hall.
While St. Andrew’s is the host, we are blessed with outstanding partners in this community effort. It could not happen without them. This ministry has grown from serving an average of 30 people in an evening to over 80 people per meal.
- In 2003, we served 2,000 meals.
- In 2004, we served 6,700 meals.
- In 2005, we served 8,300 meals.
- In 2006, we served 8,900 meals.
- In 2007, we served 9,704 meals
- In 2008, we served 8,287 meals
- In 2009, we served 8,728 meals
- In 2010, we served 8,674 meals
- In 2011, we served 8,629 meals
- In 2012, we served 8,049 meals
- in 2013, we served 6,592 meals
- in 2014, we served 6,836 meals
If you are interested in volunteering or if you would like to make a monetary or food donation, please contact the church office at St. Andrew’s 440-322-2126.